Teams: 1st Team | Reserves | Youth | Ladies | Ladies Reserves

Hughes the new boy?

Briton Ferry Llansawel: 1st Team

Opposition: Goytre United

Result: Won 3-1 Scorers- Matty Hughes 2, Steve Davey Att-110

Date: Saturday 7th October 2017 14:30

Venue: Home

Competition: Welsh Cup

Team: ???, Sam Baker, Daniel Kingdom, Ian Hillier, Luke Harris, Keiran Williams, Thomas Da Silva, Scott Tomlinson, ???, Matty Hughes ●2, Stephen Davey ●1

Subs: ???, Luke Probert, Rory Healey, ???, ???

Hughes the new boy? - Briton Ferry Llansawel AFC

Recent signing Matthew Hughes(pic) put in a man of the match display on his first start for the Reds in the Welsh Cup to help inflict the first defeat of the season on Welsh League leaders Goytre Utd at the Old Road.

The 25 year old signing from Swansea Senior League team Malsters Sports had a dream start scoring two goals while also winning a penalty that Steve Davey converted.

The game was built up as a David versus Goliath cup tie with the visitors showing formidable form to date, unbeaten all season and sitting top of Division One under Lee John's guidance.

The Ferry had certainly  showed an upturn in form in recent weeks though and continued the progression with their best performance of the season.

Manager Carl Shaw was without suspended forward Gareth Jones and Ryan Griffiths who had a reoccurrence of his knee injury last week so opted to start new signing Hughes alongside in form striker Dai Brown.

Keiran Williams returned in centre midfield alongside Scott Kenyon with Matty Harris missing and Rory Healey only recovering enough to make the bench as well as recent signing Kristian James.

Referee Darren Adie who was officiating his final Welsh League game got proceedings underway on a fine autumn day at the Old Road and the Reds looked up for the fight from the first whistle.

In a quick fire start the rawness and willingness of Hughes allowed him to win an early penalty after what looked like a lost cause he got onto the end of a over hit pass and was felled by keeper Luke Martin, referee Adie showed no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Up stepped ever dependable winger Steve Davey(below) to make no mistake for 1-0 with less than ten minutes gone.

Then only two minutes later after some great play on the right between Davey and Brown the ball was cut back for Hughes to slam the ball into the roof of the net(below) from ten yards for 2-0.

Utd who posed the in form trio of Roberts, Hutson and Walters struggled to get any time on the ball with every man in Red working with desire to nullify any threat the visitors posed.

The teams played out a competitive half with the hosts thoroughly deserving their lead at the interval.

HT 2-0

With an hour gone ex-Ferry coach John made some positive changes with Jandir Zola and Rhodri Cole entering the fray and they got their reward on 65 minutes when a through ball saw forward Curtis Hutson slot past advancing keeper Steve Cann from outside the box for 2-1.

The response was instant from the Reds though, a set piece delivery from wide saw Hughes leap like a salmon(below) to out jump everyone inside the box and rifle his header into the top corner past Martin for what was the killer goal.

Ian Hillier saw his headed effort cleared off the bar later in the half and the Reds comfortably saw out the final 15 minutes to cap a memorable cup display and win.

The win not only advanced the club into round 2 but will give management, players and supporters much to feel optimistic about after a difficult start to the season.

FT 3-1

M.O.M- Matthew Hughes- A dream debut for the forward with two goals and a superb all round performance.