Briton Ferry Llansawel

Scorers: Lee Bevan (33)

Won 1-0

Goytre Utd

Attendants: 198
Sponsored by:Status Builders

The Team

McFenton, Baker, Bevan (1), L Harris, Hillier, Hudson, Healey, Davey, G Jones, Brock, L Jones

The Subs

Cockings, Ncube, Napierella, L Hughes, C Harris

Briton Ferry Llansawel gained a vital derby win against neighbours Goytre Utd with a 1-0 win in the first Friday night game at the Old Road this season.

A superb header from centre back Lee Bevan in the first half was enough to settle the match that was a very evenly fought contest with Lee John’s team feeling like they should have at least had a point from the game.

Reds manager Carl Shaw welcomed back Bevan to the team after missing the cup win against Panteg with him partnering Ian Hiller, with Luke Harris and Sam Baker making up the back four in front of Conah McFenton.

A midfield of captain Rory Healey, Warren Hudson and Tyler Brock formed an attacking line up behind the front three of Gavin Jones, Luke Jones and Steve Davey.

The visitors had started the season well before a disappointing 1-0 loss at home to Pontypridd last week.

Referee Ryan Gosling started proceedings in front of a good crowd just short of 200 and it was the blues who got out of the blocks the quickest seeing an early penalty appeal turned down as well as testing McFenton with two good efforts early on that the keeper did well to save.

Slowly the Ferry settled though and they saw midfielder Warren Hudson hit the post with a good right foot drive from outside the box, from the resulting Steve Davey corner the 6ft 4 frame of Bevan climbed higher than any other player to time a perfect header past Luke Martin into the top corner on 33 minutes allowing a slight advantage at the interval for the hosts.

The Reds nearly extended their lead instantly from the second half kick off after some superb play from Rory Healey allowed Luke Jones a snapshot that went just inches wide of Martins post.

Another chance from Davey after some good build up play was well saved by Martin moments later.

The visitors had an excellent go in the second half though, the first chance saw a superb long range free kick hit the post after McFenton judged it to be going wide.

The pressure continued from Goytre Utd in the last quarter but a solid defensive performance marshalled by keeper McFenton allowed the Reds to take the bragging rights and a vital three points.

Next up for the Reds is another home derby against Port Talbot Town on Friday 28th September 2018 - 7.30pm kick-off.