Teams: 1st Team | Reserves | Youth | Ladies | Ladies Reserves

Reds earn point in opener

Briton Ferry Llansawel: 1st Team

Opposition: Cwmamman Utd

Result: Drew 1-1 Scorer- Luke Harris

Date: Saturday 12th August 2017 14:30

Venue: Away

Competition: Welsh League Div 1

Team: ???, Ross Davies, Keiran Williams, Ian Hillier, Luke Harris ●1, Rory Healey, ???, ???, ???, Gareth Jones, Sam Baker

Subs: Joshua Cockings, Joel Healey, ???, Luke Probert, Kerry Nicholas

Reds earn point in opener - Briton Ferry Llansawel AFC

Briton Ferry Llansawel earned a point in a 1-1 draw at Grenig Park against Cwmamman Utd in what was the club's first game back in Division One.

In retrospect it was a good point with the Blues playing their first ever game in the Division making it a massive occasion for all involved.

Carl Shaw's men who played in their alternate Macron kit of the old Llansawel AFC yellow and black were without a number of first team regulars, another positive that showed the depth of this seasons squad.

Last seasons youth and reserve player of the year Ross Davies got the nod at right back alongside Ian Hiller, Keiran Williams and summer signing from Pontardawe Luke Harris making up the back four in front of club captain and goalkeeper Steve Cann.

Rory Healey and Dai Brown formed a midfield partnership with Ryan Kostromin and Sam Baker out wide, Warren Hudson played in a more advanced role then behind forward Gareth Jones.

Cwmmaman saw new summer signing Chris Allen leading the line after signing from Goytre Utd.

Referee Ben Williams got the game underway in front of a decent Grenig Park crowd that saw both teams trying to stamp their authority in a hectic start.

Steve Cann was called into action for the first time after Ryan Thomas beat the offside trap on 15 minutes making a great save.

The Reds saw a number of corners come their way and looked dangerous with the superb delivery from full back Keiran Williams asking major questions of keeper Luke Harries.

The breakthrough came for the hosts on the half hour mark after again a close offside decision allowed winger Ashley Curtis in and this time he made no mistake to slot past Cann for 1-0.

The reply was instant from the visitors though with another whipped set piece from Williams seeing Harries fumble the ball, defender Luke Harris was the quickest to react and he poked into an empty net for 1-1.

HT 1-1

The second started in controversial fashion with Blues striker Allen seeming to headbutt defender Harris in a challenge leaving the Reds defender flat out on the floor, after some consideration official Williams showed just the yellow card.

This seemed to spur the Reds on and they started to get the upper hand with Warren Hudson going inches wide with a good chance from the edge of the box.

Ex-Cwmamman midfielder Dai Brown nearly scored minutes later against his old team mates with a fantastic header from a set piece, this time the ball bounced off the crossbar.

Up the other end Cann was then called into action coming out on top again with a low drive from close range.

Then with 8 minutes left the best chance to win the game for Shaw's men saw young full back Ross Davies who had been excellent in the step up dinked a far post cross from the byline, Sam Baker who had also been a constant threat saw his header mistimed from two yards out and bounced over the cross bar.

Baker nearly made up for the miss minutes later when cutting inside his curling effort was superbly save by Harries.

Right at the death Keiran Williams made a goal saving last ditch tackle with striker Allen about to pull the trigger.

Williams blew the final whistle moments later on a highly entertaining opener with the draw probably the fair result.

FT 1-1

Man of the Match- LUKE HARRIS(sponsored by Martyn Griffths Translations)- The new signing has settled instantly alongside Ian Hillier and was part of a great battle with Allen.