Teams: 1st Team | Reserves | Youth | Ladies | Ladies Reserves

Gaz has pizzazz in injury time

Briton Ferry Llansawel: 1st Team

Opposition: Cardiff Met University

Result: Drew 1-1 Scorer- Gareth Jones

Date: Saturday 22nd August 2015 14:30

Venue: Away

Competition: Welsh League Div 1

Team: Luke Probert, ???, ???, ???, Ian Hillier, Rory Healey, ???, ???, Stephen Davey, ???, ???

Subs: ???, Scott Tomlinson, ???, Sam Baker, Gareth Jones ●1

Gaz has pizzazz in injury time - Briton Ferry Llansawel AFCBriton Ferry Llansawel gained a valuable point at one of the league favourites on Saturday in remarkable fashion when substitute Gareth Jones nodded home in the 93rd minute for a 1-1 draw.
Manager Carl Shaw travelled to the Cyncoed Campus with the same squad from the previous game but welcomed back defender Joshua Cockings from injury to take his place on the bench, keeper Steff Rogers and young defender Josh Davies were given starts for the reserves at home to Pontardawe.
The only change to the starting eleven was Stephen Davey in place of Sam Baker up top, with the latter taking his place on the bench with Cockings, Kenyon and Gareth Jones.
Christian Edwards students who has retained all of last seasons title contending squad have ambitions to be playing in the Welsh premier next season after agonisingly missing out on promotion to Haverfordwest on the last game of the season.
Referee Michal Baniak started proceedings in tropical heat with the Ferry sporting their new neon yellow away strip and it was the students who started better, keeping the ball superbly on the fast 3g surface.
Although the possession stats favoured the hosts in the first 15 minutes the only shots they could muster were both from outside the box and unable to test Ferry keeper Luke Probert.
The reds first chance was on 16 minutes with a Stephen Davey snapshot going wide of the target.
Followed was a good spell for the Ferry with Ian Hillier's long throws asking questions of Cardiff Met's defenders on a few occasions, the best chance from one of them came after the ball was flicked on by Ross Hudson at the near post seeing his brother Warren inches away from scoring at the far post.
HT 0-0
A relentless first half pace saw both teams returning unchanged after a much needed break and the Ferry started the second half well but were to be derailed on 58 minutes when the Cardiff forward broke clear of the defence and with defender Ian Hillier doing his best to get in a last ditch challenge referee Baniak adjudged the challenge illegal and pointed to the spot.
Charlie Crosby stepped up for the hosts and although diving the right way keeper Probert was beaten low to his right for a 1-0 advantage.
On 65 minutes Shaw made his first change with live wire Scott Kenyon called upon to add a spark to a tiring midfield replacing Lee John in the middle of the park.
With ten minutes of the clock remaining Shaw made the brave decision of throwing on both Gareth Jones and Sam Baker in place of Ryan Griffiths and Warren Hudson.
The physical presence of both instantly caused problems and Baker was hacked down on his first touch just on the edge of the area, however Stephen Davey's free kick was blocked by the wall.
It was Baker again who forced the first real save from the students keeper when his shot from the edge of the area was parried away on 87 minutes.
With 4 minutes of injury time added the Ferry were piling the pressure on their opponents and it wasn’t until the 93rd minute they were rewarded, full back Josh Pike showed lovely control from a high ball to feed skipper Gavin Jones, the winger delivered an inch perfect cross from the left flank and the clubs all time leading scorer Gareth Jones was the man in the right place to nod home from 6 yards to send the travelling support and bench into ecstasy.
Seconds later the final whistle was blown with the reds travelling back to the Ferry with an excellent point.
FT 1-1
Man of the match- Rory Healey- covered every inch of synthetic grass in an excellent performance.