Teams: 1st Team | Reserves | Youth | Ladies | Ladies Reserves

Hughes header wins it

Briton Ferry Llansawel: 1st Team

Opposition: Monmouth Town

Result: Won 1-0 Scorer- Steve Hughes Att-57

Date: Tuesday 1st May 2018 19:30

Venue: Home

Competition: Welsh League Div 1

Team: Jamie Griffiths, James Beer, Sam Baker , Ian Hillier, Luke Harris, Rory Healey, Stephen Davey, Scott Tomlinson, Tyler Brock, Gareth Jones, Liam Hughes

Subs: Kristian James, Alex Armstrong, Steven Hughes ●1, Joe Dyer, Ruben Barros

Hughes header wins it - Briton Ferry Llansawel AFC

Substitute Steven Hughes(pic) made an important comeback after from the subs bench after a 3 week absence to gain a narrow win against Monmouth Town at the Old Road on Tuesday evening.

The win was needed after a poor run of form with 3 draws and 4 narrow losses since being named 'Team of the Month' by the Welsh League in February.

With Division One football secured the aim will to be to try and gain the maximum points possible of 43 with games against Caerau Ely away this coming Saturday and two midweek home games against Cwmbran Celtic and Ton Pentre.

It was a close game in poor conditions with both defenses on top in a goalless first half, keeper Jamie Griffiths did pull off an excellent double save on the half hour mark from the only real chance to note from the visitors.

Tyler Brock caused all sorts of problems down the left hand side all half and Asa Kirkwood did well to save at the young forwards feet before half time.

The second half saw a more dominant display from the Reds, the impressive James Beer who has done brilliantly since being called upon at full back left the field injured on the hour so Dan Kingdom came on at left back with Sam Baker shifting to right back.

Manager Carl Shaw replaced tiring forward Gareth Jones with Hughes with 20 minutes left and it wasn't long before both substitutes combined with Hughes placing his header back across Kirkwood from a Kingdom cross.

The win was slightly tarnished at the death with Sam Baker getting shown a straight red card on Elliott Ford with a rash challenge on the touchline.

FT 1-0

M.O.M.- LUKE HARRIS- A close call between Brock and Harris but as always this season the centre half didn't put a foot wrong and played a big part in the Reds clean sheet.