Teams: 1st Team | Reserves | Youth | Ladies | Ladies Reserves

Ladies get elusive first win in Premier

Briton Ferry Llansawel: Ladies

Opposition: Port Talbot Town

Result: Won 3-2

Date: Sunday 16th April 2017 14:00

Venue: Away

Competition: Womens West Wales League

Team: ???, Mel Thomas, Aimee Heath, Anya Welch, Emily Hancock ●1, Renee Day, Lucy Powell, Megan Kearle, Carys Wilklinson, ??? ●1, Ela Roberts

Subs: ???, Beth Kennedy, Jade Dawkins, Niamh Terry, Becca Rees ●1

Ladies get elusive first win in Premier - Briton Ferry Llansawel AFC

Becca Rees(pic) scorer of the second goal with her first touch

Briton Ferry Llansawel Ladies made the short trip north to face Port Talbot at the Genquip stadium on Sunday and returned with a well deserved first ever Welsh Premier League win of the season in a closely fought game.

Port Talbot started the stronger and took advantage of some sloppy play from the reds during the first 15 minutes, however they did not really threaten the visitors goals.

Gradually the Ferry girls settled and got more and more into the game although it was the hosts who opened the scoring in the 29th minute with a great strike from Vicky Straton which looped into the roof of the net.

The reds were deservedly quickly level just 4 minutes later following great work down the right from Megan Kearle to create a crossing opportunity with set up Emily Hancock at the back post to score her first goal in the Ferry colours.

The reds then dominated the remainder of the half but reached the half time whistle with the score 1-1.

HT: Port Talbot 1 BFL Ladies 1 

The Ferry girls were confident in the break and felt the game was there for the taking but concede in the first minute of the second half after failing to clear a corner and the ball rebounded off the unfortunate Carys Wilkinson to restore Port Talbot’s lead.

This seemed to double the efforts of the girls in red and they really took the game to the hosts and were almost level in the 59th minute following great work by Laura-May Walkley but she saw her effort come back off the far post.

The task was made even greater just after when the reds lost the influential Hancock to an ankle injury and had to reshuffle with Renee Day covering at centre half.

The visitors continued to push and in the 70th minute were again level following a free kick from Lucy Powell which was well delivered and allowed substitute Becca Rees to glance into the corner of the net with her first touch since coming on.

There was no stopping the BFL girls now and just 3 minutes later they took the lead for the first time in the match with a lovely chip from Walkley.

Both teams pushed for another goal but were unable to add to the scoring and the reds saw out the remaining time including an additional 8 minutes added on by the referee to see out a well deserved first win in the Welsh Premier league.

FT: Port Talbot Town Ladies 2 BFL Ladies 3

Star Player: Megan Kearle – The impressive Kearle has been outstanding over the last few months and continued her form today with some great running at the Port Talbot team which they couldn’t deal with throughout the game.